Saturday, April 9, 2022

Recent buy (APD) and recent sell (T)

Last week I sold my position in AT&T (ticker: T). I sold my 42 shares for just under $24 per share. I purchased these shares about three years ago for $28.65. I received about $240 in dividends during this period. The total return on my investment is a rather measly 1% per year. THe first year I received the usual dividend raise. One year after my purchase AT&T decided to stop increasing its dividend. To make matters worse, earlier this year they decided to slash its dividend because of the spin-off of WarnerMedia. I decided to offload my shares before the actual spin-off so I wouldn't be stuck with two positions I am not too happy about. This will decrease my annual forward income by about $74.

That said, with my cash position I decided to start a new position in Air Products & Chemicals (APD). APD provides essential industrial gases, related equipment and applications to customers in various industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. Given the high barriers for entry and long-term contracts with its clients, I expect this company to do well in the future.

The share price of APD is more than 20% lower than the peak in last year. Shares are yielding 2,6%. I believe the company is not THAT cheap, but I guess its fairly valued. I consider this my first purchase. Depending on the share price developemnt I could further increase my position. This purchase will add about $40 to my annual forward income.

All in all my annual forward dividend income decreased because AT&T was a higher yielding company before the dividend cut. However, later this month I might have a big enough cash buffer to make another purchase. Let's see what happens!

2 comments:

  1. T has definitely been a dud and one that I wish had sold long ago. But I think the damage has been done so now I'll wait and see how things develop. Love APD though and it's one of our oldest holdings. Great business and one that I expect to continue to do well for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pick, dividenddream! In the short term APD's aggressive capex spend could have detrimental effects on share price evolution. In the long term I think APD is well positioned for growth, especially in hydrogen.

    ReplyDelete