Monday, November 9, 2020

Recent buy: Brink

Last week I purchased 20 additional shares of the company I work for. I work as a real estate and finance consultant for a mid sized management and consulting firm. I like my job very much! It offers me a lot of interesting and challenging projects in the field of real estate and area development. I love solving and optimizing these financial puzzles with Excel spreadsheets but also to be able to give customers quality advice about how to act. I wrote about it last year as well.

My company has been profitable for at least the last 15 years, even during the big downturn in 2009-2010. The company is fully owned by its employees. There are no outsider shareholders. I really like that, because the interests as shareholders and colleagues are aligned most of the time. If the company performs well financially, everyone profits, whether you are a shareholder or not.

My company has a policy to distribute its earnings based on a threshold for the capitalization rate of at least 30%. Excess funds are distributed as dividends in two payments: a bigger one of 75% just after the financial year has ended and a final payment at the shareholder meeting a few months later.

The valuation of my company is based on a 5.5x multiple of the last three years earnings and the forecast for next year's earnings. Its dividend yield based on last year's dividend is almost 9%. My purchase of 20 additional shares adds roughly € 150 to my annual dividend income (before taxes). My annual dividend income currently hovers around € 1.850,-.

As of now this position is about 11% of my portfolio and 25% of my dividend income. My plan is to purchase new stocks to further diversify my portfolio. I am able to purchase shares in my company once a year, so hopefully I can purchase another batch next year!

Would you consider purchasing shares in your own company?

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day! Ovalbecken

    ReplyDelete